Friday, December 10, 2010

picture of the day - boveylee





atomic jellyfish (2007) by boveylee
intricate hand-cut chinese rice paper.
from her artist's statement: "My paper cutouts contemporize a fading Chinese folk art, paper cutting. Simple material and laborious process infuse honesty and dignity into the highly intricate and elaborate compositions that I create. I work with rice paper because it is culturally significant and sustainable. Hand made from mulberry tree bark, rice paper is tissue thin, dense, and soft to the touch. The silk backing that I now use adds resilience to the rice paper and silk is also renewable.

The underlying themes in my paper cutouts are power, sacrifice, and survival."

check out her site for more of her fascinating work. i can't resist posting a few more...






No comments:

Post a Comment